Hello my fitness and nutrition friends. I wanted to share with you one of my new favorite superfoods. It’s called spirulina. Spirulina is an blue-green algae (cyanbacterium) that is packed with protein, vitamins, and has body cleansing proprieties. You can buy it in powder form or pill form at your local health food store.
I take organic spirulina purchased from Trader Joes.
Here are some of the many benefits of spirulina:
1. Packed with protein and amino acids
2. Cleanses the blood of heavy metals and toxins
3. Loaded with iron (does not cause constipation)
4. It contains Omega 3 fatty acids which we talked about in the vitamin post. They are great for your body.
5. Spirulina is a great source of nutrients: “…contains vitamins B-1(thiamine), B-2 (riboflavin), B-3(nicotinamide), B-6 (pyridoxine), B-9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin E. It is also a source of potassium, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc. Spirulina contains many pigments which may be beneficial and bioavailable,” Wikipedia
6. It has 26% more calcium than milk (wellnessmama.com)
7. It is an antioxidant, more so than blueberries (wellnessmama.com)
8. Spirulina helps your body burn fat during exercise and helps with metabolism support.
9. It has been known to help those who suffer from allergies (WebMed.com )
10. It contains phosphorus which helps with tooth health (wellnessmama.com).
11. Emerging evidence suggests that it binds with radioactive isotopes and may be useful for radioactivity exposure or radiation therapy (wellnessmama.com)
12. And more:
Blue-green algae are also used for weight loss, attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), hayfever, diabetes, stress, fatigue, anxiety, depression, and premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and other women’s health issues.
Some people use blue-green algae for treating precancerous growths inside the mouth, boosting the immune system, improving memory, increasing energy and metabolism, lowering cholesterol, preventing heart disease, healing wounds, and improving digestion and bowel health. (Source -WebMD).
Phenylketonuria: The spirulina species of blue-green algae contains the chemical phenylalanine. This might make phenylketonuria worse. Avoid Spirulina species blue-green algae products if you have phenylketonuria. (WebMD).
Those on any type of anti-coagulation medicine should consult with a doctor before beginning (or stopping) taking Spirulina, Wellnessmama.com.
Spirulina can cause gas (flatulence) in some people or cause stool to be green. It’s not recommended to take more than the recommended dose per day, WebMD.
Spirulina boosts the immune system so those with diseases aggravated by an auto immune disease might have difficulties. Talk to your doctor.
Pregnant or nursing, talk to your doctor.
Always choose organic or sources free or nitrates or contaminants. The contaminants, not spirulina can cause some adverse side effects. Blue-green algae products that are free of contaminants, such as liver-damaging substances called microcystins, toxic metals, and harmful bacteria, are POSSIBLY SAFE for most people.(WebMD).
Always consult your Primary Care Doctor before taking any supplements, especially if you have a pre-existing medical condition or you’re taking other supplements or medicine. This site is not designed to treat or diagnose any illness.
Wishing you well on your wellness journey! You can do this.